R1 Fork Conversion on the way!

The stock R1 forks are pretty decient with heaps of adjustment, i just serviced the oil and installed = couldn't be happier. IMO try the forks first, set em up properly and see how they perform to you liking before throwing $$$ at revalving if your only road riding.

Yeah, that does make a lot of sense. :tup:

And so it begins, I just bought 2006 R1 Radial front calipers $140 USD shipped to Oz and a 2007 R6 Radial master cylinder $126 USD delivered.

Now I need an axle and the most important part, the shocks.

Last edited:
Too cool. You're really going to like these. I'm going out for a ride in a couple more hours once it cools. The forks are great. Outstanding bang for the buck.

If I only had my flash...my lucky Italy is on vacation.

Hellgate, i have taken a few pics of how i set-up the M/C, there are a few different options. I used a small bracket from the hardware store cost .20c & went with a Rizoma reservior from PJ parts. The big bonus with the R1 M/C is you have a bleed nipple.

Hellgate, i have taken a few pics of how i set-up the M/C, there are a few different options. I used a small bracket from the hardware store cost .20c & went with a Rizoma reservior from PJ parts. The big bonus with the R1 M/C is you have a bleed nipple.

Can you tell me what is the width of this Rizoma risers?

I went for a nice little ride tonight, about 35 miles. A mix of twisties, slab, and downtown city streets. The fork is great! Compliant, supple, controlled.

The brakes are working very nicely too. Ditching the Sumitomo pads and putting in my already matched EBC HHs was huge, that and bleeding them one more time. My new M/C is due Monday or Tuesday. It should get ever better. I also have a new set of HEL lines coming too. They're not due in for a week or so.

Hellgate, i have taken a few pics of how i set-up the M/C, there are a few different options. I used a small bracket from the hardware store cost .20c & went with a Rizoma reservoir from PJ parts. The big bonus with the R1 M/C is you have a bleed nipple.

Very nice, thanks for the ideas. I'm toying with getting the Rizoma reservoir. I've already got Rizoma grips like yours, Rizoma bar sliders, and rearsets. I thought the reservoir would match nicely. I'd of course need to do the rear one too.

I really like their levers but they are simply stupid expensive, $180 a side is just plain dumb. I'll stick with stock. I had Pazzo's on my FZ6 and didn't care for them.

How is your steering damper mounted? I need to add one. I'd like to race the Texas Mile this Fall but the rules state all bike must have a steering damper.

How is your steering damper mounted? I need to add one. I'd like to race the Texas Mile this Fall but the rules state all bike must have a steering damper.[/QUOTE]

I have cheap Pazzo knock-offs 4 sale on fleebay, i have had Pazzo before but these cheapos work just as good and look just as good. I have the Sprint steering dampner mounted uder the lower trees, i really like the setup and the dampner works great.

The M/C arrived today and it looks brand new.

View attachment 7058

View attachment 7059

Simple to mount, however I need to fab up a reservoir bracket. In the mean time good 'ole duct tape will have to do.

I had to change sides of my brake lines so the banjos lined up with the M/C better; L to R, R to L.

I also found my Goodridge bleed screws and installed them. They make bleeding so simple. No need for a MityVac. Just open a 1/4 turn, pump until clear, close, and pump 'til firm. Repeat twice moving from bleed screw to bleed screw. With this M/C it was critical to bleed from the M/C too. Once I did that it firmed right up.

I've not ridden it yet, I'll try it tomorrow.

I also ordered a custom set of Fren Tubo lines from PJ's. The fit is very, very tight between the M/C and the throttle cables. An R6 or R1 throttle assembly will solve that problem. I need to see if it will clear the fairing. Anywho, the Fren Tubo will be GP style with only one line attaching to the M/C vs the two I current have. It work, but as you can see it is a very tight fit.

View attachment 7060

View attachment 7061

View attachment 7062

Pete just go to a bicycle shop. A Cateye reflector mount works great and costs next to nothing. Papa is using one. I'am using one off a old mountain bike that I had. Ironically they look factory...

Pete just go to a bicycle shop. A Cateye reflector mount works great and costs next to nothing. Papa is using one. I'am using one off a old mountain bike that I had. Ironically they look factory...

Great idea, thanks! I'll check the boxes of bike parts I have in the garage. Bicycles are my "other" drug. I currently have four; road, mtn, and two cross.

BTW - I have a new Ridley 54cm Supercross frameset for sale. It fits like a 57cm.

Starting to bleed to much spare(right) cash. The Hawk I picked up needs work and just got the wife a used Klein Aura X for the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see it almost complete! Deals can be had. I got my 09R1 MC for 50 shipped. Gotta love the R1 forum, sometimes they just don't know what they have.

And yeah, stock pads suck. The ones that came with my 08 calipers were craptastic. These brembos are fantastic.

Looking good man!

Yeah, the stock 08 pads were horrible. FZ1's braking felt much much better compared to them but not as much progressive. Now have EBCs and with them the brakes are best of both worlds!

Today I fabed up a bracket for the M/C res. I was going to stop by a bicycle shop and try Johnny's suggestion of using a bicycle reflector bracket, but I forgot to stop by a bicycle shop. So I went to HD, bought a sheet of aluminum and made a bracket.

I guesstimated the whole way and used tin snips to cut it, and drilled the holes and 15 minutes later it was complete.

The final part of the project are the Fren Tubo custom brakelines from PJs. The only problem is Italy is currently closed for the rest of the month. Must be nice...

I suddenly feel a fever coming on....I don't see how I can make it to work tomorrow. ;) Twisted Sisters??? Maybe so.

View attachment 7076

View attachment 7077

View attachment 7078

View attachment 7079

View attachment 7080

I put in about 150 miles today. I told you guys I was feeling sick today... :ugh: Everything worked great! I hit the local twisty roads, then the big sweeper roads at 110+, and she worked flawlessly.

I still some air in the brake lines. After cooking off I'll bleed them again. I think the air is in the M/C as the bleed screws at the calipers are running clear. I'm going to order a second set of speed bleeders, one for the M/C, the second I'll put on the rear caliper.

I still need to set sag, out of the box it is pretty good.

is it possible to put gen II forks on a gen I ? I bent my forks and destroid my front end pretty much and I'm thinking of just turning it into a streetfighter

Back