R1 Fork Conversion on the way!

Hopefully next year at bonus time.... we're having a banner year thus far so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :tup: I will hunt some down and put a WTB in the R1 forums too.

That and a rear shock.... ;)

Lee recommended 7 wt, it's what I'am currently running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well no documentary on fork servicing. As much as I want to learn to do it, I'd need to buy several tools; spring compressor, fork seal tool and something else I don't own.

I did manage to pirate an R1 Service Manual and they stressed having a "skilled" person service the fork. I'm a heck of a parts swapper, but I'm no tuner.

I'll just take them to my local suspension guy, yes I know...lazy...but I'd rather have them done correctly. He already has all of the parts in stock and a zillion springs.

I did pop the fork cap off and the insides are very clean. I think this is a fairly low mile fork. It looks very close to new so I think the oil is okay for now.

I also checked the Race Tech web site and the spring weight is pretty close to what I need, so I'm at a good starting place.

I am having a hellva time finding an R6/R1 front master cylinder. If anyone has one let me know. Used ones are so expensive I may just end up buying a new one. New they are about $195 for everything. A used POS is going for $75 to $100+, and that needs a lever, a fluid resevior and has roadrash.

Started the install today. The axle arrived today, calipers are due tomorrow.

Before

View attachment 6963

Spark plug wrench, spocket extension trick to remove front axle

View attachment 6964

Dumbells and paint can jack trick

View attachment 6965

R1 fork is 1/2" short, but appears to compress less than the FZ1 fork, net-net of compression appear about the same. Each R1 fork leg it .4 of a pound lighter, axle clamping is significantly better with two axle, pinch bolts on each leg.

View attachment 6966

After sans calipers

View attachment 6967

^^^ You mean the broken Go Pro mount on the wind screen? Cheap piece of junk...

Right now I have the forks flush with the top clamp. Once it is all together I'll work with my suspension guy to set the bike up.

If the calipers arrive today, and all goes well I'll take her out for a test ride tonight!

Shimming is only needed for 07-current R1 calipers.

Correct, with the 04 to 06 front end it it plug-n-play. That's the reason I select that generation. It would have been cool to have the super cool brakes, but these will work great.

The calipers are out for delivery today so I should get them on tonight.

I still can't find an R6 or R1 radial M/C. Those things are like gold. There have been two in Flea Bay but the bidding got too high. I've checked the R1 and R6 forums but, nothing. If push comes to shove I may buy a new onr from Yamaha. An '04 R1 MC is about $200 for the whole thing. Interestingly if you price an '05+, either R1 or R6, the price jumps up about $50.00.

Another option is the Nissin radial MC. It's a very nice set up, cost is $200 also, but it is on par with the $350 Brembos.

Tonight I'll use the FZ1 MC so I can at least take a test ride.

Pete, are you going to use the stock rotors? Do you have to shim the calipers at all? Hope all goes well!

Yes stock rotors. The calipers come with pads so I need to see what they look like. If I don't like them I'll get a set of EBC HH pads and Scotch-Brite the rotors.

Well its done, and looks like a million bucks!

The calipers are in great shape, once I cleaned the cob webs, and filth off of them they look like new. They have the original Sumitomo brake pads with lots of meat on them so I don't think they've had much use. I'll order up a set of EBCs for them tomorrow.

For now I'm using the FZ1 M/C. I've got my eye of a few R1/R6 levers but I have a couple more days to wait.

I've not ridden the bike yet, I'll do that tomorrow, but the fork feels much smoother than the FZ1 fork.

The mod is pretty reasonable; $275 for the fork, $29 for the axle, and $50 for the calipers. I'm guessing $75 for the M/C and new pads for $50 to $65. So about $500 total, not bad.

Eventually I need to pull the triple tree and replace the headset with All Balls.

View attachment 6968

View attachment 6969

Back