R1 Fork Conversion on the way!

I didn't realize that is a go pro mount; really looks like a deer whistle.

My R1 6-pot calipers took forever to bleed and I actually thought there was something wrong with them. Time to get a mityvac.

I didn't realize that is a go pro mount; really looks like a deer whistle.

My R1 6-pot calipers took forever to bleed and I actually thought there was something wrong with them. Time to get a mityvac.

It may work better as a deer whistle than a camera mount, who knows???

Mityvacs are the way to go, 5 minutes and you're done. Did you wrap teflon tape around the threads of your bleed screws? If not it is a nightmare trying to bleed them, with or without a MV. Reason is the air gets sucked in around the threads, the tape prevents that from happening.

The six pots are great looking however. I think is is amazing how far brakes have come in 25 years. My old '81 GS1100EX, the super bike of it's day, the first bike to break into the 10's for a 1/4 mile, had two pot brakes. And those were considered trick because most bikes were single!

M/C sourced and paid for. Should arrive in a week. It's from an '08/'09 R6R. Shipped for $100.00. It appears to be unmangled and complete.

I love how Yamaha parts can plug and play. An '06 FZ1 accepts '06 R1 forks, '04 R1 calipers, controlled by an '08 R6 master cylinder.

Ideally I'd like to have some brake lines made from the front end. I have Yamaha/Russell lines and they have an odd fit. I'd rather have custom made ones.

View attachment 6970

Last edited:
Awesome low-budget upgrade Pete. At some point, I might try this mod out. Given how easily it all fits back together without hassles, I'll keep my eyes open for some really killer deals. ;)

Any word on that ECU yet? ;)

Awesome low-budget upgrade Pete. At some point, I might try this mod out. Given how easily it all fits back together without hassles, I'll keep my eyes open for some really killer deals. ;)

Any word on that ECU yet? ;)

Thanks Eric. It looks like an entire R1 front end can be had for about $550 to $650. That's fork, calipers, axle, M/C, brake lines, triple tree, clip-ons and switch gear.

So far I've only seen black front ends, I wanted to stay with gold so it's looks OEM.

If you went that route I you could sell off the odd bits and recoop some cost.

No word on the ECU. I haven't bugged them in two weeks. They are getting ready to open the new shop and are building new bikes, painting, etc. They are buried.

I did manage to find the email for the guys in Italy who are programming. I'm debating on emailing them, but I know they don't want to deal in retail, hence the retail network. I also don't want to jump the chain-of-command with AF1 as I'm hoping I can talk them into a free dyno comparison.

Heck I haven't ridden my FZ1 in about a month or so. No time and it is waaaaay too hot. Once the A/C service guy has left I may take it out for a test ride to try the fork out.

Not bad at all! I just came back for a short ride, it's currently 106, too damn hot. Yes I was a total squid, I rode in cargo shorts, Adidas, riding jacket, helmet and gloves. I never went over 50. If I can go that fast in cycling gear, then I can did in semi-ATGATT. :innocent0002:

The new forks track great. They follow the bumps very nicely, giving a nice smooth ride. :Rockon:

The brakes on the other hand are terrible. The old stock brake pads have no bite at all, the feel is mush. Spilling brake fluid on them last night didn't help either. I'll order the new pads and bleed them again. It will get better but until the new R6 M/C arrives it's not too good because the ratio seems off. :frown:

Handling wise I didn't notice any quicker turn in, but again I wasn't riding hard and was looking for bumps to hit.

Last edited:
Nice to see it almost complete! Deals can be had. I got my 09R1 MC for 50 shipped. Gotta love the R1 forum, sometimes they just don't know what they have.

And yeah, stock pads suck. The ones that came with my 08 calipers were craptastic. These brembos are fantastic.

Looking good man!

Not bad at all! I just came back for a short ride, it's currently 106, too damn hot. Yes I was a total squid, I rode in cargo shorts, Adidas, riding jacket, helmet and gloves. I never went over 50. If I can go that fast in cycling gear, then I can did in semi-ATGATT. :innocent0002:

The new forks track great. They follow the bumps very nicely, giving a nice smooth ride. :Rockon:

Yeah the R1 forks are smooth and feel alot better compared to the FZ1 stockers. For $5-600 this is the best bang 4 buck upgrage for this bike. I had PJ part make me a custom Fren Turbo braided lines for the front, i stuck with the splitter setup as this looks alot better on the naked and added 40mm in lenght from the splitter to the MC. Form pads i us EBC Extreme and they are awesome, i have done a couple of track days with the pads and they performed amazing.

Damn you guys, first it was PapaGeno with the initial sparking of interest and now It's Hellgate who has given me the extra push to start looking into this mod.

I like to ride the bike fairly hard so it might be time to get some new forks.

Just a question, are the 2006 R1 calipers the same as the FZ1 calipers?

No the calipers on the R1 are monoblock, radial calipers. They are same as the R6. The brake pads are the same however. I was able to pull my EBCs off the FZ to use in the R1 calipers.

You'll need a radial master cylinder too.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

How does the R1 front end upgrade compare to a Triaxxon/ Penske(just to throw out some names) upgrade.
Basically I would like to do something like this in the future but I took a serious hit to the pocketboock. Just want to make an educated decision.
I asked Lee at Traxxion about this a few months ago re the gen1 forks. If you go with anything older than 2003 forks, the swap will be a lot simpler and require less parts. The gen2 guys are doing it to get the radial brakes because their forks are good enough. The gen1 forks are good too just not as stylish.

Getting the r1 forks and adding springs to compensate for the weight difference is an upgrade for the gen1. I got the 2003 forks because I want the looks more so than any performance upgrade. Adding them to the gen1 is a definite upgrade whether you chose to go with the new model radial brakes or not.

this reminds me, I may need to update my thread!

How is the braking performance compared to the FZ?
Sounds like it should be a fair bit better if it's radial?

I've reblead the brakes, and installed my old EBC pads once I learned they are the same. I'll take her out tomorrow and let you know. With the radial M/C they'll be killer.

My R6 has the same set up; the '04 - '06 R1 and '05 to '11 R6 brakes are the same. I love my R6 brakes, they stop on a dime and have outstanding feedback.

Supposed to be 105 again, ugh...

No the calipers on the R1 are monoblock, radial calipers. They are same as the R6. The brake pads are the same however. I was able to pull my EBCs off the FZ to use in the R1 calipers.

You'll need a radial master cylinder too.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

The calipers are radial but not mono block. Pads are the same. Fz1 calipers are not the same as 04 to 06 they only share the same pads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just talking to my local suspension guru here in Sydney and he prefers the 05/06 R1 forks over the 07/08 R1forks, so I will be sourcing a set of them.
He says they are completely different and made by different company's.
I will also be getting them re-valved so it should be a pretty good improvement over the stock FZ1 forks.

I have been waiting on my nitron rear shock for 4 weeks now, and came a cross this thread a week back.. So yesterday i bought a complete r1-08 fork with caliper, lines and mc.
Purchased new wavediscs (china) to fit the caliper. Hope they are good..
I´m really looking forward to fit the front and rear suspension!
This forum is no good for my wallet....

I have been waiting on my nitron rear shock for 4 weeks now, and came a cross this thread a week back.. So yesterday i bought a complete r1-08 fork with caliper, lines and mc.
Purchased new wavediscs (china) to fit the caliper. Hope they are good..
I´m really looking forward to fit the front and rear suspension!
This forum is no good for my wallet....

lol your not wrong.
This forum has cost me a pretty penny, that's for sure, but every cent I have spent on this bike has been well worth the money.

You'll like the Nitron shock when you get it. It's great value for money.

I was just talking to my local suspension guru here in Sydney and he prefers the 05/06 R1 forks over the 07/08 R1forks, so I will be sourcing a set of them.
He says they are completely different and made by different company's.
I will also be getting them re-valved so it should be a pretty good improvement over the stock FZ1 forks.

The stock R1 forks are pretty decient with heaps of adjustment, i just serviced the oil and installed = couldn't be happier. IMO try the forks first, set em up properly and see how they perform to you liking before throwing $$$ at revalving if your only road riding.

Back