What did you do to your FZ today?

Someone care to do me a favor if you get time? Could someone measure their GEN II FZ1 Swingarm and tell me what the width of the swinger is where it mounts to the frame pivot point?

Also could you measure the distance from the center of the Frame Pivot Point to the center of the rear axle?

Thanks

Brian

:party0011:

Installed my new battery. Got a parts unlimited battery at my local shop for $93.95 - 10% discount for local forum. It really was nice to hear her strat up again. I will be taking her out Saturday for sure!

I'm unfortunately "bikeless" at the moment so I "hacked" my new Nook Color today and installed Android CM7 into it. I now have a fully functional 7" Droid Tablet with all functions for $199 bucks!!! Yipee!!!

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

Hard to tell I've only been 17 miles. I still need to get the extensions. The first thing I noticed was that my headlights were lower. Lorne said he set it rather firm because my old forks were pretty firm. I think I want to soften it up a bit as bumps felt pretty harsh. Actually I could feel the road.

I'm looking forward to riding in daylight but that'll be delayed until next week I think.

Oil and Filter Change

I changed the oil and filter the other day... first maintenance on the new-to-me bike. That's the good news. The bad news is that I discovered today that "energy conserving" and "resource conserving" are the same thing. I knew not to get "energy conserving" but never considered that the industry would change terms and the were the same thing -- I thought that "resource conserving" was something related to the synthetic oil (Mobile 1) that I purchased.

Anyway, looks like I'll be draining all that nice, fresh oil out this weekend and going with something else.

Hopefully three days and 50 miles hasn't done any damage to the clutch. Is there anything special I should do to flush the "resource conserving" stuff out? Should I run some "cheap" oil through for a few miles, then put synthetic back in? I'll certainly change the filter, but beyond that, I'm open to your wisdom.

Last edited:
Fox!

What a surprise when I got to the shop today. I had a couple more decals to install but when I opened the door I saw a red fox curled up on the seat of the FZ ! He seemed pretty tame (well, he didn't bite me or run from me) so I carefully snapped a couple of pics of him lounging on the Yamaha!

Took her for one last ride of the season. got home and changed oil and filter, washed and waxed it, lubricated all pivot points, removed battery and setup on tender in the basement until next season.

Speed check . . .

With the temperature in the low 60's (warm for us here this time of the year) I wanted to check the program setting on my newly installed SpeedoDRD. :wow:Absolutely "spot-on" !! No plates or insurance on her but, what the hey . . .. it's only a short ride, right? heh,heh. Mmmhhh sweet. I love it when a plan comes together . . ... . with the gps and the speedometer now in total sync. I couldn't be happier. Money well spent I say.
After reaffirming the numbers a second time and, checking the rpm's at some of the cardinal speeds, I snicked down a couple of gears and blasted down US-40 with the warm air pushing me back. At somewhere north of 100 my GPS flopped from it's mount and luckily, landed right in my lap ! Ohh Nooooo . . . .. After pulling over and gingerly putting it in my zipper pocket, I took off again and began accelerating by snicking up thru the gears sans clutch. :woot: Great weather, little to no traffic, and a willing rev-master, yipeeeeee !! I definately needed me a pre-winter FIX.
This FZ is seemingly smoother than my first one and rides like it's on rails. Could be the Bridgestone's I suppose and the rebuilt forks probably help some too. My first fizzer came with Shinko 009's already on it and they were seemingly abit greasy IMHO. Also today, I did notice a definate gear "whine" at the lower speeds. The new Renthal CS sprocket is quite noisy ! But above 45 or 50mph the wind takes over and blocks out everything but the exhaust sound. I can live with that. In fact, I like the gear-whine. Reminds me of a turbine when they spool up for take-off. Very mechanical sounding.
I killed a dozen bugs with her today, warmed up the oil and got to 130mph on a federal highway. Not a bad day's sprint for late November.
Now, where are my new decals . . .? I know I left them right over here . . . . :tup:

Put the front tire on. Had a little trouble and needed the Calvary but got the job done oldshcool style: on the ground with tire irons. The stiff Bridgestone sideall defeated me and the HF changer.

IMG_20111127_123939.jpg

Cruzman checked to be sure the rotors were still straight.

I made him ride it so I could see if what I observed about the front end was actual or my imagination.
IMG_20111127_130436.jpg

He says Baby feels more sporty than Stella and the steering is smoother (new bearings). According to him, overall the front end feels smoother. Same thing I noticed so I know it's real and not because I wanted it to be. With new rubber, I can really test out my new forks.

This one's for thepopularjock
I got new to me inserts and don't want to drill them for the power outlet. Instead, I glued the panel cover that came with my outlet to the insert. I used locktite weld stuff:
DSCF5363.JPG

Not sure it will hold yet.

Last edited:
Put the front tire on. Had a little trouble and needed the Calvary but got the job done oldshcool style: on the ground with tire irons. The stiff Bridgestone sideall defeated me and the HF changer.

IMG_20111127_123939.jpg

Cruzman checked to be sure the rotors were still straight.

I made him ride it so I could see if what I observed about the front end was actual or my imagination.
IMG_20111127_130436.jpg

He says Baby feels more sporty than Stella and the steering is smoother (new bearings). According to him, overall the front end feels smoother. Same thing I noticed so I know it's real and not because I wanted it to be. With new rubber, I can really test out my new forks.

This one's for thepopularjock
I got new to me inserts and don't want to drill them for the power outlet. Instead, I glued the panel cover that came with my outlet to the insert. I used locktite weld stuff:
DSCF5363.JPG

Not sure it will hold yet.

Patrice, are you gonna paint the front fender or leave it black? It doesn't look at all bad the way it is.

Gonna paint it but it isn't a priority. Was looking at it this evening an started thinking it'd be cool to have a black stripe up the spine of the bike with the black fender: Black on the nose of the fairing where the yamaha logo is, black on the tank where the raised part is, and black on the tail. I guess that's the skunk stripe, huh?

Back