What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

Installed the TomTom Rider today. The S has a built-in, OEM cable so it was pretty much plug and play.

I'll be anxious to hear if you feel it was worth the money. I use my phone (mounted to the bars via a Ram mount) for navigation, but have toyed around with the idea of a dedicated GPS.

TomTom updated some of its units with a "twisty road" option. Did your version of the Rider get that? (this all might be worthy of a separate thread so as to not clutter the "what did you do..." thread).

Hey Clyde - Yes the Rider has the twisty option for routes. If I can catch a break with the weather tomorrow I'll go play with it.

My concern with using my phone, a Samsung Galaxy 3S, is that it will be easily damaged, or soaked. With the right case I don't know if that is a legitimate concern or not. :dontknow:

I also want to try pairing the phone with the GPS to take calls. That said I'll need to buy a headset. One step at a time. :)

If everything works out, this summer I want to ride from OKC to Seattle via a non-interstate route (OK, NM, CO, WY, ID, WA). Via Google I've plotted what appears to be a good route. I need to play with the TomTom Tyre software and see what that recommends. I've got some learning in front of me.

Nice lift cant beat it for the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It took 4 guys (me being one of those) at the store to get it into my wife's car. The comment was "I can't believe it, he'll be able to close the hatch!" We took it out of the crate, since I knew it wouldn't fit in the crate. It sure as hell wasn't going in the Mini! I got it out myself, without damage to her car, at home.

Princess Auto is our equivalent to Harbor freight from what I can tell. It is a solid unit and better than the one we have at work, both wider and with a better ramp. There were cheaper ones without air-hydraulics, but this was the only one in stock, and part of my Christmas bonus went to this indulgence. It has replaceable and rebuildable components so it should last a lifetime.

It took 4 guys (me being one of those) at the store to get it into my wife's car. The comment was "I can't believe it, he'll be able to close the hatch!" We took it out of the crate, since I knew it wouldn't fit in the crate. It sure as hell wasn't going in the Mini! I got it out myself, without damage to her car, at home.

Princess Auto is our equivalent to Harbor freight from what I can tell. It is a solid unit and better than the one we have at work, both wider and with a better ramp. There were cheaper ones without air-hydraulics, but this was the only one in stock, and part of my Christmas bonus went to this indulgence. It has replaceable and rebuildable components so it should last a lifetime.

Nice buy!
Princess auto is what Canadian tire used to be, back in the day.
For some reason, princess skipped our province... can't blame them, actually.

Nice buy!
Princess auto is what Canadian tire used to be, back in the day.
For some reason, princess skipped our province... can't blame them, actually.

I'll get some better pictures this weekend ( and a better review) after I get back from the Bike-Show. I could use the motivation so I can get back to working on the bike. I plan on doing the valve check on Sunday. If I need any shims that will have to wait until I can buy the parts. I went back and picked up a $25 adjustable mechanics stool as well. You have to be comfortable in the Man-Cave you know.:dontknow:

Blew out the cob webbs and got it dirty

IMGP0029.jpg

Got my K-60s in! Went ahead and got the front also because even it is more aggressive than my Avon Distanzias are.

Here is a comparison of my Distanzia to the Heidenau's on the Tiger.

16748d1389741724-what-did-you-do-your-non-fz1-motorcycle-today-dsc01676.jpg

Nice, let us know how you like them.

I had my Heidenau's installed Saturday and went for a 200 mile ride Sunday. My ride was all paved on as many twisty roads as can be found where I live.

The only issue I have is when slowing down between 10 - 15 miles per hour it vibrates like crazy from the front. I assume it is just the right speed for the tread up front to resonate. Because of that I am glad I did not go with a more aggressive front.

The tire profile is fairly flat compared to a sport radial. Because of that turn in requires a little more input but once there I felt planted for the way I ride. I never felt uncomfortable.

I will do a little single track forest run here in a few weeks and report back on off - road.

I still plan to do more experimenting with tires. Next up I want to try the Full Bore Adventure tires. They have a pattern very much like the 705s but with wider tread gaps. Full Bore Tires - Adventure Touring

Getting used to it

I had my Heidenau's installed Saturday and went for a 200 mile ride Sunday. My ride was all paved on as many twisty roads as can be found where I live.

The only issue I have is when slowing down between 10 - 15 miles per hour it vibrates like crazy from the front. I assume it is just the right speed for the tread up front to resonate. Because of that I am glad I did not go with a more aggressive front.

The tire profile is fairly flat compared to a sport radial. Because of that turn in requires a little more input but once there I felt planted for the way I ride. I never felt uncomfortable.

I will do a little single track forest run here in a few weeks and report back on off - road.

I still plan to do more experimenting with tires. Next up I want to try the Full Bore Adventure tires. They have a pattern very much like the 705s but with wider tread gaps. Full Bore Tires - Adventure Touring

After a long time sport bike guy it will be a transition for sure with even mild knobbies like the K-60s. There is always a certain speed where you will notice a vibration, for me the front vibrates mildly at 35-50 kph. on pavement. In gravel you will never feel it. That rear should not be noticeable (for vibration) on pavement. They will take a lot of miles to wear out before you need new ones. Maybe you should meet me in Telluride in Colorado the first week of August so we can chew up those tires on Ophir pass and a few others!

Back