YZF1000 Build Has Started!

After I get this one paid, I'm on the hunt for a good project bike!

Well I already have a project bike. It will have to move around this weekend, I'll take a picture with it's big brother. I might start working on her this winter. Needs an electrical rebuild (rotor and stator). If you like cold you are welcome to come on up and help.

Ohlins has arrived!

Well today UPS dropped off my Ohlins shock. I had sent it out to get serviced and the correct spring put on. The one on there was for like a 160-170 lbs rider so way too light for me. Picture of the rear shock and box containing the front fork springs :D Enjoy...

Boy! That leather sofa has seen it's share of nice parts! That shock is gonna look sweet on the YZF. Remember not to hesitate to ask if you need a hand or just some company during the build. Richie has a sweet 16 practice so I would just ride out on the Kawasaki.

Boy! That leather sofa has seen it's share of nice parts! That shock is gonna look sweet on the YZF. Remember not to hesitate to ask if you need a hand or just some company during the build. Richie has a sweet 16 practice so I would just ride out on the Kawasaki.

Well I like the black background since it provides a nice contrast against the parts I'm photographing ;). Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know Saturday night if I plan to work on the bike on Sunday. I could definitely use the help in doing the fork springs and seals. That reminds me I have to stop by a motorcycle dealer and get some fork oil...I'm going to do the same thing you did and go from a 5W to a 10W oil. Seems to be the "hot" setup with the Ohlins springs according to the Thunderace forum (UK site).

yeah just wait until the YZF is on the sofa and his wife is in the garage!

Ooooooooooo! Nice stuff Tony! And all on a fine leather sofa to start its new life! :D I'm betting the wife wasn't home when those shots were taken...

(a cheap black sheet in the garage would suffice.... just saying to keep you IN the house you know...)

Well I decided to move this thread here to the non FZ1 motorcycle section. Makes more sense as I will keep adding to it.

So today I got to spend a few hours working on the bike. Go the forks done! I ended up going with 7W oil as I wasn't sure about the 10W one. Stock is closer to 5W oil and I was already putting in the heavier Ohlins fork springs (about 10% stiffer than stock). I'm only 200-205 lbs w/ gear so this should work out good. If not I can always replace the oil...

Got the front rotors bolted on to the front wheel, the forks back on the bike, the front wheel mounted as well as mounting the calipers with everything torqued to spec. And by the way those are '07 FZ1 calipers :D

Up next is the rear shock. That will be an important step because then I can mount the rear wheel and be able to move the bike around. Ran out of time today, but maybe I can tackle that during the week if I get home at a decent time one night. Some pics of the progress below...

yeah just wait until the YZF is on the sofa and his wife is in the garage!

Either that or Tony's wife on the sofa, and Tony, the FZ1, and the YZF, out in the garage! :laugh2:

Ooooooooooo! Nice stuff Tony! And all on a fine leather sofa to start its new life! :D I'm betting the wife wasn't home when those shots were taken...

(a cheap black sheet in the garage would suffice.... just saying to keep you IN the house you know...)

Not to worry guys I was home alone when those pictures were taken...that's my story and I'm sticking to it :D And besides it had just come back from being serviced so the shock was super clean ;)

Well i guess mines gonna be back in the kitchen for the post mortum on the engine : oops:

Yea, I saw your other post about that. It really sucks to have to tear that R1 engine down. Hopefully there's not too much damage done, but those metal shavings didn't look good :(

Oh man, I had a 99 YZF back in 2000 that I had bought new but only had it for a year or two. I'd love to get another to do the same as you tony.
Good luck with ya build too :)

Well got a nice little surprise in the mail today. My Remus Viper CF slip-on arrived all the way from England! Picked it up used on their eBay site for a fair price and will be quite unique here in the states. It's going to look great with my black ceramic coated exhaust! Some pics ;)

Went to install the Ohlins shock yesterday and discovered that there was something wrong with the stock shock linkage. The one dogbone was rubbing on the aluminum linkage so either it's bent or one of the bushings went bad. Couldn't really tell which was the case from just looking at it. I found a nice low mileage replacement on eBay so it's on it's way. If it gets here by Friday then next Sunday the rear (shock, swing arm, wheel, brake, etc.) should be all done. Stay tuned...:D

Last edited:
Back