YZF1000 Build Has Started!

The bike looks awesome Tony. Nice job! If the weather is good Sunday will you be up on the mountain?

Maybe, but I'm not sure I want to go too far on my first ride. I want to make sure that there are no "issues" with the bike first. Last thing I want to do is get stranded at Bear Mt. I may give it a shakedown ride tomorrow night...

Not to mention that you may have to set up the suspension as well.

Oh that is a definite. Right now the settings are all over the place both front and rear. First order of business is to get the front to factory settings. At the rear I'll start playing with the Ohlins in the middle of the range.

It's nice that you have that remote for the rear. Makes changes on the fly possible! I'm not sure if I'll be doing the run tomorrow. If not, I'll be on the mountain instead.

That remote is only for the preload adjustment. Rebound and compression are on the remote reservoir and the bottom of the shock, but easily accessible as well.

I'll see what the weather is like in the morning. I may be taking a ride to the mountain after all. I'm dying to ride the YZF1000 ;)

Last edited:
Finally!!!

Well tonight I finally finished putting the bike together. I changed the oil, removed the rear reflectors and put on the lower cowl fairing. It's a great feeling to finally have it all back together again. I still need to install the EBC clutch kit that I have along with the Factory Pro shift kit. That will be a 2-3 hour project and is not really pressing at this time, but I'll eventually get to it. Also need to install the Factory Pro jet kit. That I know will be another 2-3 hour project since the carbs on this bike are a pain to remove, but I can live with the bike the way it is for now. However, I want to get to that sometime next month. Enjoy the pics ;)

And here are before (1st pic) and after (2nd pic). I know the difference is not that great in the pictures, but if you saw the bike in person it would be a different story.

It really is a beautiful bike. The rims are spot on and really bring everything together. Great job!

Thanks! I've had bikes with white wheels before and they are a pain to keep clean. However, with the bike having so much other white it just looks a lot better with the white wheels than with the black ones. Another mod I plan to eventually do is paint that front fender red. The black just doesn't do it for me.

The bike came out great T. It winds up that I will be doing the Charity Ride today but we actually pass right through the mountain on the way up. If your up near Perkins and you may see us go through. I'll keep an eye out for ya!

Looks great Tony! The project turned out great.

It's funny to look back and see how much bikes have changed in 10 years or so. On the whole the mid-ninties sport bikes look porky. The plastics today are much cleaner, and minimal.

Looks great Tony! The project turned out great.

It's funny to look back and see how much bikes have changed in 10 years or so. On the whole the mid-ninties sport bikes look porky. The plastics today are much cleaner, and minimal.

Oh yea the YZF1000 definitely looks porky. However, I'd rather think of her as just shapely :laugh2:

Some pics from today. I still have to give the bike a good cleaning. Particularly the sidewall of the tires. They have some residue on there from when I had the tires mounted. It dried up white...Enjoy ;)

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

What a great job Tony. She looks stunning! The wheels really set this ride off in a big way. Well done! :tup:

Guess I have to come down and see it in person!

Nuthin' wrong with a little junk in the trunk......

It seems since you've started this thread, I've seen about 6 or so cruising around the metro.....but none of them that have the eye appeal of yours....

Well finally got around to installing the EBC Kevlar Clutch Kit (fiber plates) along with new OEM steel plates, which I found dirt cheap on eBay. Took the opportunity to also install the Factory Pro Shift Kit (since you have to remove the clutch basket and oil pump to install it). Now it's shifting great! Some pics of my home made clutch holding tool. Got the idea from another online forum.

I epoxied two fiber and two steel plates together (while sitting in the clutch basket to keep them aligned). Just use a tiny amount of epoxy as you don't want it sticking anywhere else.

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

Then drilled through all four and bolted them together using two regular bolts and two eyelet bolts. The eyelet ones makes it easy to put in or take out. Also offers a convenient place to stick a screw driver and keep the whole assembly from turning while removing or installing the clutch boss nut.

IMG_1570.jpg

YZFClutchTool_1.jpg

YZFClutchTool_2.jpg

Up next is the Factory Pro Jet Kit. I suspect that the idle jets are a little clogged right now because it doesn't take throttle well just off idle. The mid-range and top-end are fine. After that I am done!

Back