YZF1000 Build Has Started!

Well tonight I had a little time to work on it again and got the brake and clutch master cylinders on, along with the levers and the rest of the controls. Bad news is that the shock linkage wont get here until Monday, but Sunday I will concentrate on finishing up the front cowling area instead of the rear suspension. More to come...

Well tonight I had a little time to work on it again and got the brake and clutch master cylinders on, along with the levers and the rest of the controls. Bad news is that the shock linkage wont get here until Monday, but Sunday I will concentrate on finishing up the front cowling area instead of the rear suspension. More to come...

:popcorn: I'll stay tuned. I'm enjoying the program so far.

Update

Radiator got cleaned and painted. I couldn't believe how clean it was on the inside for being 13 years old. It literally looks brand new on the inside (where it counts).

Drilled out the broken bolt out of one of the EXUP valve attachments holes in the header. Luckily I was able to drill the broken bolt w/o too much damage to the surrounding metal. Was able to run a 6mm tap through it and clean up the threads. Bolt seems to hold fine.

Pro Grip gel grips and CF look levers are on.

Sunday I will clean the swing arm and put it back in place. The replacement shock linkage will be here Monday so next week the rear will be all set. Then it will be exhaust and radiator mounting time. Almost there :)

Swing arm bearings cleaned and lubed. All torqued back to spec. Installed the Ohlins shock, but so far it's only held by the top mount. Tomorrow when the replacement lower linkage comes in the rear suspension will be all set.

Cleaned the front sprocket area and put cover back on. Also rebuilt clutch slave cylinder. Side stand and shifter installed as well. Rear fender area cleaned on the inside. The bottom I will do before putting on the rear tire. I figure with the hugger that I'm installing it should remain relatively clean down the road. Some pics:

Swing arm bearings cleaned and lubed. All torqued back to spec. Installed the Ohlins shock, but so far it's only held by the top mount. Tomorrow when the replacement lower linkage comes in the rear suspension will be all set.

Cleaned the front sprocket area and put cover back on. Also rebuilt clutch slave cylinder. Side stand and shifter installed as well. Rear fender area cleaned on the inside. The bottom I will do before putting on the rear tire. I figure with the hugger that I'm installing it should remain relatively clean down the road. Some pics:

Great progress Tony. I see you found the kerosene. Whats a quart run you out there in Jersey? Everything is coming along nicely. You should have a "roller" in no time at all. I can probably get you some stainless lock-nuts as well for those rusty ones on your shock regulator. Get me a list of all the sizes when you get back from the trip.

Great progress Tony. I see you found the kerosene. Whats a quart run you out there in Jersey? Everything is coming along nicely. You should have a "roller" in no time at all. I can probably get you some stainless lock-nuts as well for those rusty ones on your shock regulator. Get me a list of all the sizes when you get back from the trip.

Yea, local hardware store had it. Almost $5 for a quart!!! I should have a roller by tomorrow night if everything goes according to plan. Thanks for the offer. When I'm ready I'll get you all that info. For now I just need to get it running again.

We have a roller!!!

Well tonight the replacement shock linkage came in. I cleaned and greased all the roller bearings before putting it all back together. Next the back wheel went on. Still need to clean, adjust and lube the chain.

Also the EXUP valve got a good cleaning with a wire brush and got lubed and assembled with some ss bolts and high temp grease.

So now we officially have a roller. Tomorrow I am hoping to get the exhaust and radiator on. Then we'll have a runner :D but I have to also do the brakes so we can have a stopper ;) Almost there...

Good news! Good job!!!

Isn't there a way to eliminate the EXUP on this ride?

Hope I get to see this bike in person some day. :tup:

Well on this bike, like on the Gen I FZ1, if you want to eliminate the EXUP you have to replace the stock headers, but you lose that great low and mid-range torque. The other issue is that since this bike hasn't been made since 2003 (in Europe) it's not easy finding a full exhaust anymore. I know D&D still makes one, but it's not ss so I want no part of it. I have seen some nice ss Akras on the UK eBay site, but they want a lot of money for them and the shipping would be astronomical. So far I am happy with how the exhaust has turned out after having it ceramic coated and that CF Remus slip-on that I got. Since I cleaned and lubed the EXUP valve I don't anticipate any issues with it. The cables look good and I have a spare servo motor.

I'm sure you'll get to see it in person one of these days. It's actually not a bad sport touring ride. It has Heli bars and a Zero Gravity touring screen on it right now. Plus with the reworked suspension it should actually ride quite good. Maybe it'll make the trip up to NH one of these weekends again during the Summer. That Kancamagus Highway looks very inviting :D

Last edited:
We have a runner!!!

Well we have a runner now. Today I took the day off from work and made some really good progress on the YZF1000. The rear of the bike is all finished for now. Installed the exhaust and lubed and adjusted the EXUP valve. Mounted the radiator and put in some fresh coolant. Rear bakes and clutch are bled. Need to just finish up the front brakes and put on the fairings.

Got a fresh gallon of super and dumped it in the tank after getting it mounted. Full choke, primed fuel pump a few times and cranked it over...started right up :D

I let it warm up until the fans came on to check for any coolant or exhaust leaks and everything looked fine. Almost there, but I wont be able to work on it again until I get back from Lake George on Sunday...

Well between work and going to Americade in Lake George, NY last week I haven't had much time to work on the YZF. Tonight I did a few little things, but not much overall progress. Right now I'm waiting on some small LED bulbs that I bought on eBay to replace the instrument cluster ones. There were a couple that were burned out and they are a pain to replace so I figured I'd do them all with LEDs and never have to worry about them again. Once that is done the front fairing will go back on.

I installed some CF bits and replaced the rear turn signal lenses with clear ones. Also replaced the tail/brake light and rear turn signal bulbs with LED ones. Gave it a modern look without taking away from the original design. Enjoy the pics ;)

Still waiting on the LED bulbs for the instrument cluster :waiting: Today I installed the CF triple tree cover and preload adjusters. Also ordered a new flasher relay because with the LED bulbs things aren't working like they should (super fast blinking). Didn't want to bother with adding resistors to the wiring. The one I ordered is plug-n-play so it should make for a clean install.

Still waiting on the LED bulbs for the instrument cluster :waiting: Today I installed the CF triple tree cover and preload adjusters. Also ordered a new flasher relay because with the LED bulbs things aren't working like they should (super fast blinking). Didn't want to bother with adding resistors to the wiring. The one I ordered is plug-n-play so it should make for a clean install.

Oh man, and I have a brand new module sitting here that I bought for the Honda and never used. I would have just given it to you.

Almost there!!!

Well today the LED bulbs and flasher relay arrived along with the H4 Catz headlight bulbs. The stock bulbs are only 35W so basically useless at night. I went with standard 60/55W bulbs to not tax the charging system much more than the stock bulbs. So now the lighting is all finished.

Bled the front brakes (what a PITA to get all the air out!!!). Installed the upper cowling along with the lower side fairings. Tomorrow night I will change the oil and throw on the lower fairing. Taking her out for a ride Sunday morning weather permitting :D

Back