Missy's rebuild thread!

Well I think the first thing I'll try is to tell them they need to NOT figure on dealership OEM pricing. Used parts and non OEM parts may take it under that "totaled" number. I get 1000 in accessories (this is part of my policy) and that is a Separate figure from repair. The only thing I can figure is that they are calculating full price dealer OEM parts and dealership labor. If I can correct this I may be able to keep it out of the "totaled" category. Especially since it's all plastic cosmetic stuff.

I got $3000 in bling but they only wanted to give me 20cents on the dollar and I couldn't find that anywhere in the policy.

They can take it under the total number simply by them wanting to do that. But, they put pressure on you to cave because they know the total will cause you to have to get a salvage title which is a pain for you to then put it back on the street.

So, their goal is to give you less money to justify the bike not being totaled. Then make you pay more money for the crashed bike than it's worth. This reduces their overall outlay.

Let's say for example --- they will give you $4000 and they get the bike.
They sell the bike for salvage for $1000 --- their outlay is a $3000 loss.

Last edited:
Wait, if they give me 2800 so they don't total the bike, why would I still have to buy it back? I only would have to buy it back if they totaled it correct?
I'm armed with a whole lot of numbers before I speak with them today, the Internet, receipts, and a maintenance application on my phone are wonderful things. :)

Wait, if they give me 2800 so they don't total the bike, why would I still have to buy it back? I only would have to buy it back if they totaled it correct?
I'm armed with a whole lot of numbers before I speak with them today, the Internet, receipts, and a maintenance application on my phone are wonderful things. :)

Geeeeeezuz --- I confused myself. I came in after being on the road for 16 hours and posted that. I corrected it and actually don't know what I was trying to say. NEVERMIND!!! HEHE :)

Well, the verdict right now is that insurance is a rip off, and I'm going to pull my claim. 1500 bucks in stock parts is not a reason to total a bike just because the dealership is a rip off. So everyone keep an eye out for parts for me will ya? :)

Well, the verdict right now is that insurance is a rip off, and I'm going to pull my claim. 1500 bucks in stock parts is not a reason to total a bike just because the dealership is a rip off. So everyone keep an eye out for parts for me will ya? :)

It sucks I know Missy. Insurance, like most other things we pay our hard earned money for these days, is a big ripoff! I'm paying $1016.00 dollars on Liability Only, for my 86' Olds here in NY. They just raised it another $80 bucks a year on me. I called and asked how this is possible when I am a great paying customer for over 10 years now with ZERO claims or accidents and they tell me that it's an increase across the board for everyone due to all the false claims that people make! So I have to pay more because of OTHER people that feel the need to steal from you guys!!!! Thats just dandy! I swear I just want to climb a tower!!!!

I wouldn't call insurance a ripoff, but they do want to give you the least amount of money for your loss. That's how all businesses work. We do the same when we buy stuff, we want to stick it to the retailer and make them eat as much of the cost as possible. Fortunately I've never had to file a claim for bike or car damage with my carrier, but I did notice something different in my last renewal. They said I should have a color picture of each side of the bike, plus a pic of the VIN label, plus copies of all custom parts and accessories. So I did that and put them in my file with all the receipts for stuff added. But if they want to lowball you on the accessories there often isn't a lot you can do other than to fight back and try to kick it up the chain of command. Who do you have your insurance with? Some are better than others. Good luck with the rebuild.

They are low balling the entire thing. I pay you to protect my assets. And as long as I need nothing, we are solid. My first claim ever, and they want to profit from my loss. Rip off. Waste of money.

I'm not sure if it applies to every state, but isn't insurance coverage optional in most of the US?

Here in BC, Canada, we have mandatory insurance coverage and no choice on who to buy our basic from, there's only one option. It's expensive too :)

I wouldn't call insurance a ripoff, but they do want to give you the least amount of money for your loss. That's how all businesses work. We do the same when we buy stuff, we want to stick it to the retailer and make them eat as much of the cost as possible. Fortunately I've never had to file a claim for bike or car damage with my carrier, but I did notice something different in my last renewal. They said I should have a color picture of each side of the bike, plus a pic of the VIN label, plus copies of all custom parts and accessories. So I did that and put them in my file with all the receipts for stuff added. But if they want to lowball you on the accessories there often isn't a lot you can do other than to fight back and try to kick it up the chain of command. Who do you have your insurance with? Some are better than others. Good luck with the rebuild.

Well as you said, you have never had to make a claim. I hope that you'll never have to either. I just had my first and only accident in my 35 years on the road last July. It wasn't in the car but on the bike. I was struck broadside from some idiot who made a right turn from the left lane, knocking me unconcious for over an hour, waking up in a hospital not knowing how I got there. Due to a LAZY Police Officer who wasn't interested in getting witness statements, they went with the idiot's testimony as to what happened and of course he said that I hit him. Needless to say I had to battle with them for over 7 months to get what was due me as well as hospital bills. Meanwhile I had accumulated undeniable evidence to show that there was no possible way I could have hit him yet they didn't want to hear anything about that. If it wasn't for me doing all the legwork and calling them every other day making it known that I wasn't leaving this alone, I never would have seen dime one! My only saving grace was that their adjuster had a conscience, and could plainly see by looking at the bike, that it couldn't be my fault. He wrote up the collision just under a "total" for me which in the end, gave me enough money to put it back together using used parts. So in my world, when you put out alot of money for something and get nothing but grief in return, I call that a "Ripoff". You of course can have your opinion as well.

My insurance company will not cover ANY add-ons unless they have been made know to them ahead of time. They wan the chance to modify the premium based on current value. Without that opportuntiy they will only replace with OEM parts. I thought most insurance companied did the same.

I don't understand --- Are you getting nothing?

Well, I am now, because I'm refusing to total it. I pondered this, because I do have an emotional attachment, I've spent a LOT of time and money on this bike. I know it's in great shape and well maintained. And for 1500 bucks I can go to part shark and make it new again. They say it will cost 3500, and that's 50% loss. So to them, it is unrepairable. I don't want a salvage title, (cost, inspection, then loss of value) and buy it back for 2 grand, when it's all plastics I can fix. I'm going to withdraw my claim. It's not worth it.

She also told me that SHE doesn't have the authority to change whether it's a total or not. She hinted at her manager a few times. So I may let myself settle down, then try the manager route.

Well, I am now, because I'm refusing to total it. I pondered this, because I do have an emotional attachment, I've spent a LOT of time and money on this bike. I know it's in great shape and well maintained. And for 1500 bucks I can go to part shark and make it new again. They say it will cost 3500, and that's 50% loss. So to them, it is unrepairable. I don't want a salvage title, (cost, inspection, then loss of value) and buy it back for 2 grand, when it's all plastics I can fix. I'm going to withdraw my claim. It's not worth it.

Well, I think they are really screwing you if you don't get any money at all. I would go to another insurance agency and act like you want to possibly change to their company and see if you can get some advice on how to pressure them to give you some money. I was able to talk my insurance company into giving me one dollar less than the amount that would total my bike and still keep my bike. The insurance company makes money that way on what they would have given you if they totaled the bike. It is in their best interest unless their total purpose is to screw you completely. So --- you pay for insurance and you have a right to get money out of a claim. Don't give up!!!!!

Hit the brakes!

I had this happen when I first got my FZ1. Shop wrecked my bike after putting tires on it.

I had the "total-loss" scare too. It was a 2001 FZ1. They did almost 4k in repairs to it before I got to the "total-loss" number. I wouldn't worry to much if you have less than 3k of damages, dealer cost.

BTW, there is a post on my whole experiance somewhere on the forum.

Isn't that what all insurance companies goals are? Screw you completely? I've had my run in with insurances, I had to sue one for the policy's limit when they just blatantly denied my full coverage claim when a drunk driver totaled my car, freaking bastards!

Well, I think they are really screwing you if you don't get any money at all. I would go to another insurance agency and act like you want to possibly change to their company and see if you can get some advice on how to pressure them to give you some money. I was able to talk my insurance company into giving me one dollar less than the amount that would total my bike and still keep my bike. The insurance company makes money that way on what they would have given you if they totaled the bike. It is in their best interest unless their total purpose is to screw you completely. So --- you pay for insurance and you have a right to get money out of a claim. Don't give up!!!!!

Welp, since this battle with the insurance company could take awhile, I set about attempting to get it rideable today. I removed the frame sliders and put the engine bolts back, realigned and tightened up the brake lever, even though it's slightly bent it's usable. Removed the passenger bracket on the left and removed the peg in the right, until I can get an exhaust hangar. Removed and painted the radiator guards, I'll post pics when they dry, they look good. Painted the bar ends that got banged up. I removed the front fairing to have a look inside, and was a little disappointed. While I can make the inner fairing and the cowling work for riding, I found all three brackets that hold the headlight assembly on the right side broken. Can't ride like that! So next payday I'll be purchasing a new assembly, looks like once again part shark is the cheapest at 143.00. Once I get that done it's road worthy!

Well it's at least good to hear that your taking the "bull by the horns" and starting to get it rideable. If I would have waited for the insurance company, I would have been "down" for 7 months!

One tidbit for you though.......You must be relentless!! I was calling them every other day for as long as it took to get paid. They HATED me! That woman would cringe when she heard my name. If I told you the battles I had on the phone with them you wouldn't believe me! As one of the previous posters said, "the squeaky gear gets all the oil". That is the flippin' truth. I went from getting nothing to getting $1,400 dollars, plus $20.00 for the towing, $814.00 for a two minute ambulance ride, and my hospital bills. When your right, your right! Don't ever back down. Make sure that you save every receipt, save all your photos, everything. It will come in handy if they try and draw this into a long episode. If your claims person doesn't answer the phone, talk to a manager. They just love that! By my fifth call the manager MADE the claims person answer cause she was tired of listening to me yell. My buddies at work were even ready to settle with me just to shut me up! LOL! Thats the truth. Good luck with everything.

Welp, since this battle with the insurance company could take awhile, I set about attempting to get it rideable today. I removed the frame sliders and put the engine bolts back, realigned and tightened up the brake lever, even though it's slightly bent it's usable. Removed the passenger bracket on the left and removed the peg in the right, until I can get an exhaust hangar. Removed and painted the radiator guards, I'll post pics when they dry, they look good. Painted the bar ends that got banged up. I removed the front fairing to have a look inside, and was a little disappointed. While I can make the inner fairing and the cowling work for riding, I found all three brackets that hold the headlight assembly on the right side broken. Can't ride like that! So next payday I'll be purchasing a new assembly, looks like once again part shark is the cheapest at 143.00. Once I get that done it's road worthy!

Sorry to hear they are messing with ya. That is what they do nowadays though. It sucks. :)

Back