YZF1000 Build Has Started!

WOW! It really looks great.

What'e the reason for the epoxy with the clutch plates? When I've done clutchs before I've just bought the Barnett kit and put it in.

That Factory Pro shift star is pretty nice huh? I'm sure the jet kit will be spot on too. Mark does very nice work. I love his dynos too.

Thanks Tony. Great pics as usual. Hey, is that the same clutch for my GenI? Just curious.

Oh, and you said that it's shifting fine. So that was the issue hey? I'm glad to hear that.

I am not sure if it's the same or not, but the design should be very similar.

Not exactly sure what the issue was as the factory clutch plates didn't look all that bad, but since I had already bought the EBC ones I decided to install them. I think the problem was probably cured by replacing the stock clutch line with a ss braided one and rebuilding the slave cylinder along with new fluid and proper bleeding to get all the air out. This is one thing that's a pain about hydraulic (as opposed to cable actuated) clutches. Glad it's resolved now. Should be trouble free for many miles to come ;)

WOW! It really looks great.

What'e the reason for the epoxy with the clutch plates? When I've done clutchs before I've just bought the Barnett kit and put it in.

That Factory Pro shift star is pretty nice huh? I'm sure the jet kit will be spot on too. Mark does very nice work. I love his dynos too.

Pete the reason for the epoxy was to hold the plates together while I drilled through them to make the clutch holding tool. If you're just replacing the fiber and/or steel plates you don't need to worry about this since you don't remove the clutch boss and basket. To install the Factory Pro shift kit the whole clutch basket (and oil pump) needed to come out so I needed to remove the clutch boss nut.

I had installed one of these shift kits on another Yamaha that I had years ago and remember that it was very nice. The gears engage nicely now, although they do take a little more effort, but that's the small price to pay for nice positive gear engagement every time.

I'm sure the jet kit will be spot on. Again I have used their products in the past and have always been satisfied. Wish I could say the same thing about the Dynojet jet kits :shame:

Okay I understand now. I'll need to file that one into my brain for later.

Have you used the kevlar kit before? Does it feel different, or does it last longer during hard launches?

Don't get me started on dynojet. Most of their stuff is just stuff to sell people, which is odd because the PCs are a very good product. As far as I'm concerned the rest of their stuff is for the landfill. I'll take Factory Pro any day. I wish they made PC like products.

Okay I understand now. I'll need to file that one into my brain for later.

Have you used the kevlar kit before? Does it feel different, or does it last longer during hard launches?

Don't get me started on dynojet. Most of their stuff is just stuff to sell people, which is odd because the PCs are a very good product. As far as I'm concerned the rest of their stuff is for the landfill. I'll take Factory Pro any day. I wish they made PC like products.

I had never used the Kevlar kit before, but yes it's supposed to stand up to hard launches better. This bike is no lightweight and the factory clutch and springs are marginal at best so it was a nice upgrade. I rode it for about 20 miles today, but didn't do any hard launches. In normal riding I couldn't really tell any difference over the stock clutch. One thing they did say was not to use synthetic oil with them. I don't know the reason behind it, but not a big deal to me. This bike likes conventional 20W50 oil.

I feel the same about the DJ products...but like you said the PC is the exception to the rule.

Took the bike out for a long ride today. Pretty much scrubbed the tires in now so no worries there. Clutch is working perfectly and the Factory Pro shift kit has nice positive gear engagements. I can even find neutral when stopped! Suspension works great on smooth road, but a little harsh over bumps. Going to back out compression and rebound a click and see how it feels.

Carbs are still acting up so only cure will be the jet kit and a good cleaning. Runs great over 3k (pulled redline in 2nd and 3rd gears and felt great), but at idle it almost stalls. Running Seafoam through the carbs didn't fix it so it's time to take them off the bike....stay tuned.

Well the carbs are off!!! What a PITA :banghead: I haven't taken them apart yet so don't know how bad they are, but I'm sure new jets and plenty of carb cleaner will fix them ;)

Off the bike:
IMG_1590.jpg

Needs a good cleaning:
IMG_1587.jpg

Nice intake port and valves :D
IMG_1589.jpg

Next up jet kit installation and carburetor synchronizing...

Well got out of work a little early today and decided to clean the carbs and install the jet kit. They were relatively clean inside and everything went smoothly except for the part where I lost one of the tiny washers that go with the idle mixture screws. Luckily I eventually found it...phew. Plan is to take next Wednesday off and put them back on and sync the carbs, then go for a ride. Maybe I'll head up to Bear Mt for bike night if the weather is good :D

All nice and clean...

They were quite dirty. Good work cleaning them up! Jets, sync and set the idle and it should be a smooth running bike! There isn't a lot more you can do with this without a complete tear-down now!

They were quite dirty. Good work cleaning them up! Jets, sync and set the idle and it should be a smooth running bike! There isn't a lot more you can do with this without a complete tear-down now!

Yea, at this point with the nice weather here I just want to ride not really work on the bike. It was running fine except for the idle so I'm sure now after a good cleaning and sync all will be well. I got to tell you I find this bike more comfortable than the FZ1. The seat is better and so is the wind protection. About the only thing that I can see bothering me are my wrists from putting more weight on them, but I do have Heli bars on there so that does help.

After I am finished with the carbs the only thing left are some small cosmetic items that I will just take care over time as they come up on eBay or I get them from some other forum at a good price.

Oh and no complete tear down for me unless I was installing a 1040 or 1070cc kit ;)

Nice job Tony! Oh and preliminary reports have next Wednesday's weather just PERFECT!! I'll be up there with Richie for sure! Hope to see you there. You will not regret going, especially a gearhead like you!

Well the carbs are back on! Now I just need to tighten everything back up and sync the carbs. Hopefully it's back on the road this coming Wednesday ;)

It looks great T, nice work! I spoke to Danny at Cyclegear this morning. He has a bunch of Shoei RF1000's for sale still. I'll be out there on Wednesday at 10:00am to try them on and pick one up in a Red Design. Regularly 479.99 on sale for 269.99 I guess I can't complain. I just have to check fitment on that particular helmet.

It looks great T, nice work! I spoke to Danny at Cyclegear this morning. He has a bunch of Shoei RF1000's for sale still. I'll be out there on Wednesday at 10:00am to try them on and pick one up in a Red Design. Regularly 479.99 on sale for 269.99 I guess I can't complain. I just have to check fitment on that particular helmet.

Thanks man :tup: That's a great price on the RF-1000! Hopefully it's a good fit for you because at that price you probably wont find a nicer helmet.

Well today I got to finish installing the carbs and synchronizing them. Boy were they off! I totally forgot to take a before picture to show how off they were, but between synchronizing them and installing the Factory Pro jet kit the bike is running 100% better.

My carb synchronizing setup ;)
attachment.php

The after pic. I know it looks a little off, but that just how the bars happened to be when the picture was taken. There is always a little fluctuation in the bars, but I can tell you it's 100% better than before. Now it's time to just gas up and ride :sport12:
attachment.php

Fuel Leak!!!

So I was all set to meet Billy tonight up at Bike Night @ the Bear Mt. Inn and wanted to take the YZF since it was running so well now that I had finished the carbs. Well I set off and everything seemed normal, but I kept smelling gas after a while. I found it strange, but bike was running fine so I figured it was no big deal. Big mistake!!! I'm stopped at a light and guy next to me says nice bike, but it looks like it's leaking water. I look down directly beneath the bike and there is a little puddle. Right away I realize that it's not water since I'm using antifreeze and this liquid has no color to it. It's gas...I quickly turn around and head back. It's leaking like crazy, but I just want to get it back to my garage. I parked it and took the FZ1 to bike night since I didn't want to miss it.

Well when I got back tonight I just had to find the source of that leak, which wasn't there today when I was synchronizing the carbs or on the subsequent test ride. Well I quickly removed the tank, but left the fuel hose connected and as soon as I turned the key I saw the issue. The drain bolt on one of the fuel bowls had come completely off and was just laying on top of the engine. Now the odd thing is that I didn't touch them during my cleaning of the carbs since I removed the bowl cover to get at the jets. This particular one must've been loose and just came undone with the vibrations. Needless to say they have all been tightened now and bike is running great again ;)

Here's the culprit just laying around:
attachment.php

Another shot of the offending screw:
attachment.php

Back