YZF1000 Build Has Started!

Glad it was both simple AND that plug stayed on the bike for your ride out and back to the house! You got lucky after being (un)screwed! :D Whew!!

Glad it was both simple AND that plug stayed on the bike for your ride out and back to the house! You got lucky after being (un)screwed! :D Whew!!

Yea, I was glad that it was that simple. I was so relieved when I saw that screw laying there on top of the engine...

Woops woops woops. lol No one saw it but I posted the vids of my wife's bike here before i realized I was in the wrong thread.

LOL...Too funny. I thought the "woops" were referring to the screw coming loose. And let me tell you I was very relieved when I saw that damn screw just laying there. Easy enough to fix, but it gave me quite a scare for a while.

Wow, just came across this thread (just found the site, too). Your bike turned out very nice, I am just starting a rebuild of a 97 YZF 1000 so I am going to reread this thread a couple more times.
Beautiful bike, and nice job bringing her back to her pristine condition.
Cant wait to get knee deep into mine!
Thank you for sharing!

Wow, just came across this thread (just found the site, too). Your bike turned out very nice, I am just starting a rebuild of a 97 YZF 1000 so I am going to reread this thread a couple more times.
Beautiful bike, and nice job bringing her back to her pristine condition.
Cant wait to get knee deep into mine!
Thank you for sharing!

Thanks! Just send me a PM if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer them for you. Also if you're interested I have a set of Russell braided lines (F & R) that I ended up not using. Send me a PM as well if you're interested in them. I'll make you a good deal ;)

Well my '97 YZF1000 will soon start to look like a real bike again! Today I got an email from Ohlins that my rear shock is on its way back (after being serviced and correctly sprung for my weight) and should be here Wednesday. Already got the front Ohlins fork springs sitting here so this upcoming weekend I'll be putting the forks back together and onto the bike. Current state of affairs :(

So --- you building a track bike?

So --- you building a track bike?

Nope, just something "old school" and a little more sporty that the FZ1. Plus I've owned many of these Yamaha FZR1000/YZF1000 bikes over the years and they are great all around bikes. Even after all these years they still handle well and have plenty of power, plus you don't see one on every corner ;)

Nope, just something "old school" and a little more sporty that the FZ1. Plus I've owned many of these Yamaha FZR1000/YZF1000 bikes over the years and they are great all around bikes. Even after all these years they still handle well and have plenty of power, plus you don't see one on every corner ;)

That's cool --- it does seem pretty strong on torque and power.

Yea, I'd say that it's comparable to a stock Gen I FZ1 power wise and a little lighter and easier to turn (shorter wheelbase).

My Gen I is only 130HP and like 75 lbs of torque. Your bike is suppose to be 145HP and 110lbs of torque. To me -- that is a big difference.

My Gen I is only 130HP and like 75 lbs of torque. Your bike is suppose to be 145HP and 110lbs of torque. To me -- that is a big difference.

Not sure where you got those figures from, but I think you got your units of measure mixed up...lol. It is 145 HP, but the torque is 80 ft/lbs (which comes out to about 110.00 Nm).

From what I have seen these bikes dyno in the 124-128 RWHP range so that's why I was saying that it was comparable to a Gen I FZ1.

Not sure where you got those figures from, but I think you got your units of measure mixed up...lol. It is 145 HP, but the torque is 80 ft/lbs (which comes out to about 110.00 Nm).

From what I have seen these bikes dyno in the 124-128 RWHP range so that's why I was saying that it was comparable to a Gen I FZ1.

I just did a quick search for it --- and was prolly wrong. I thought the 110 was kinda high. :)

Well I decided to change the look of the bike a bit and replaced the tinted ZG screen with a clear Puig double bubble one. Couldn't roll the bike out so these pics are not that great, but you get the idea :)

Well found a new side tail panel to replace the one I had that was scratched up from bungee cords (and other things). This was a NOS one that I found on eBay's UK site at a great price ;) Cant wait for Spring to get here and ride it again. Updated pics to follow when I take it out of hibernation :D

Thats definitely a score Tony. That piece looks pristine! I'm trying to remember if the other side was scratch free? It's been a while. We're gonna need a few really good rainstorms to wash all this salt away this Spring. I don't even want to think about how the roads must be up by the mountain.:(

Thats definitely a score Tony. That piece looks pristine! I'm trying to remember if the other side was scratch free? It's been a while. We're gonna need a few really good rainstorms to wash all this salt away this Spring. I don't even want to think about how the roads must be up by the mountain.:(

I had already found a used one for the other side that was in really nice shape so now I'm all set.

Tell me about it! Between the salt and the potholes the roads are a mess. I wont even think about taking out either one of the bikes until April...lol

Back